Feeling Empty? How to Find The Joy To Audition (And Yourself) Again

By: Eddie Ramos | April 1, 2022 three:15 AM

Have y'all struggled to observe the joy to audition at times? Auditioning tin can be a deadening process that leaves many actors feeling down-hearted and helpless. I take certainly felt this fashion many times in my career and went through a specially tough time recently. I tried to figure it out alone but it was actually my girlfriend who helped me get out of my funk. She said you lot have to "do it for you." Allow me endeavour to explain what she meant.

Why Auditions Tin can Get out You lot Feeling Empty

➡️ You're as well focused on the results, non the journey

➡️ You've made booking the chore ascertain your cocky-worth

➡️ Your auditions take become stale because you're trying to figure out what they "want"

➡️ You need a moment to rest and reevaluate

It started a few weeks ago—I was coming off a really stressful week and was experiencing long periods of emptiness and lack of motivation. That week I had five dorsum-to-dorsum auditions, two callbacks, multiple coaching clients, and I was being harassed online. Admittedly, information technology felt similar a lot to handle at once. To brand matters worse the callbacks didn't go my way and I wanted just wanted to call it quits.

Read More: Words Of Communication: 5 Famous Actors On Going In Multiple Times And Not Booking The Audience

I kept asking myself what I did wrong and what I could have done improve? I was overanalyzing my callbacks days after. I was unsatisfied with the results of the week and aback I had wasted all those perfect opportunities. Opportunities to make money, to get dorsum to where I was once, to feel important… to fifty-fifty like myself again? All these thoughts came up when my girlfriend pressed me to dig deep one night. She'south an actress besides, who reminded me that we've all been there. Dejected. Tired. Helpless. Overthinking everything. Then she shared a story that changed my unabridged outlook on auditioning. Here's what she said.

"Can You Pass The Butter?"

There once was this actor whose line in a play was "Can you pass the butter?" Ane night he goes on phase and says to his cast-mate, "Can you lot pass the butter?" As soon equally the words get out his mouth the audience bursts out into laughter which confuses the actor considering he hadn't intended for information technology to be a funny line. The next night he repeats his line again "Tin you laissez passer the butter?" and again the audience can't incorporate their laughter. He looks out dumbfounded as to why they keep laughing. The tertiary-nighttime aforementioned thing happens. He goes out the quaternary night and this fourth dimension the audience lifts from their seats with raucous laughter. The actor goes backstage cheering and loftier-fiving his castmates. On the 5th nighttime, the actor delivers his line "Can you pass the butter?" and nothing. The audience doesn't laugh. He'south shocked simply continues on. The following night the actor goes on stage and delivers his line once more "Tin you laissez passer the butter?" Just again the audience is dead silent. After the play is over the actor rushes backstage fuming and asks one of his castmates why the audience isn't laughing anymore to which the castmate says, "It'due south because you're asking for the laugh and non the butter."

Moral of the story: Don't ask for the task, practice it for you. ⭐️

Finding The Joy In Auditioning Again

🎯 Define why information technology is you lot want to be an actor

🎯 Don't audience to book the part, do it because y'all love to human activity

🎯 When y'all find yourself dreading an audience stop and ask yourself why that is

🎯 Associate positive things with auditioning, treat yourself to something nice right after

After my girlfriend reminded me of this story something immediately clicked. Since January I've been experimenting with going out on every audition I become. I used to be much more judicious with my audience process, but this year thought I would switch upwards my process and say yes to everything. My basic thinking was the more swings I take, the more chances of hit a home run. What started as a new goal for growth and experimentation morphed into an obsession to reach a finish line, in other words "book a job" so I could prove my hypothesis right. And this hell week really proved how far I was straying away from joy.

In social club to go on my personal mission, I was going to accept to get personal with my auditions once more. Information technology'southward been two weeks since I had this paradigm shift and I can say this is what was missing from my auditions. Although I haven't booked annihilation notwithstanding, I'm confident something is coming and more importantly I feel proficient about myself and looking frontwards to every audition I get now.

Take y'all constitute yourself dragging your feet to exercise an sale or feeling unmotivated to deed? Share your experience below! For more than articles like this follow The Modern Thespian blog and check out our latest product hither.


Kickoff your free InboxHollywood trial

👉 Get concern prospects and email addresses

👉 Optimize email productivity for actors

👉 Save e-mail templates for time to come use

👉 Place time-sensitive information

Spirit

Feeling Empty? How to Find The Joy To Audition (And Yourself) Once more, Feeling Empty?, How to Observe The Joy To Audition, Audition, Audience Procedure, Audition Strategy, Auditons, Audition Advice, Audition Mistakes, Acting Auditions, Auditions 101, Auditions, Auditions In LA, Interim Auditions: Expectations Vs Reality, Audition Method, Bad Auditions, say yes to every audition, Auditions nearly me, Acting Advice, Acting Anxiety, Operation anxiety, joy to audition, Acting, Interim Career, Volume The Job, Books, Casting Director, Casting for a role, What can actors larn from casting directors, Interim Opportunity, Callback, Helpless, Tired, Rejected, Can you pass the butter? story, Detect your why, Why do you want to be an actor, Why should I be an actor, The Modern Actor, The Modern Actor blog, InboxHollywood, InboxHollywood Early admission, Inbox hollywod, Inbox Hollywood Modern Player